Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Save a Seeker

Everyday I log onto Planet Narcolepsy at least once, and everyday I see this blog staring me in the face at the top of the first page.  Each time, I mentally poke myself in the ear for not adding something more recent as the current post date ticks further and further into the past.

At the same time I'm devoting brain cells to worrying about updating the masses, I'm checking Google Reader and rolling my eyes at the five or six entries a day that pop up about how to order your Provigil and Nuvigil and Xyrem online. No prescription! Discounted pricing! Act now!

Usually, there's at least one Narcolepsy CURE! All natural! Ancient remedy rediscovered!  Turns out, it's the same one that will help absolutely anyone on earth lose 30 pounds in 30 days or your money back - if you can find them.

Then I start worry about who else might be reading this stuff.  Teens, trying to find something, ANYTHING, to help them get through the school day and to be able to socialize like their friends? Desperate college students refusing to admit they may need help getting through graduate school, desperate enough to forget all they know about checking sources and the importance of starting off skeptical?

What about those of us who have been suffering for far longer than I have, or who have other difficulties?  Those who can't take any stimulants at all, who have lost more memory, more cognitive function, whose fog shuts out everything beyond the computer screen? Every tidbit of information, of hope, must be like raindrops to a man stranded in the desert.

So with them in mind, I must go to the blogs, the "news" sites, the copycats, the Yahoo! Answers, the Ask.coms, and comment on everything I can find. Herd the poor wandering souls to the right sources, to the Stanford Universities and the NarNets and the Planet Narcolepsys.

As I close all my tabs and windows, and get ready to log off for the night, I get one more glance at that last post from too long ago, I sigh and remind myself that no matter when I wrote it, if someone new reads it today, if I've gotten one more person, one more sleepy friend, one more doctor to learn just one more actual fact or make one more friend for support...then that's the only update I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment